FUNKY PICKLE is more than just a pickleball tournament: it's a full-on block party! Sure, there's a pickleball competition, but we also have LIVE MUSIC, AMAZING FOOD AND DRINKS, COMEDIAN EMCEES, LOCAL BUSINESS VENDORS, AND ALL AGES ACTIVITIES. Even if you don't play pickleball, you can come and have a heckuva good time! Plus, we're raising money to support Battier Take Charge Foundation and their mission to provide scholarships to kids throughout South Florida!
This event is a single day, open competition with brackets for all-skill levels, from beginner to advanced.
- Funky Fresh (Improver Bracket): Players rated 2.5 to 3.5 / Collective Team Rating = ~3.0 average (FULL - JOIN WAITLIST)
- Sure Shot (Intermediate Bracket): Players rated 3.0 to 4.0 / Collective Team Rating = ~3.5 average (FULL - JOIN WAITLIST)
- Superfly (Advanced Open Bracket): Players rated 4.0 and Higher / Collective Team Avg. Rating = 4.0+ average
Each team will consist of FOUR PLAYERS (TWO WOMEN AND TWO MEN). Think of it as putting together two mixed doubles teams. All of the players on a team should be in the same relative skill level. For example, if your team signs up for Funky Fresh (Improver Bracket), all players should be rated in the 2.5-3.5 range (with no player rated higher than 3.5) and the skill average skill level of players should be approximately 3.0 to 3.25. Each team must designate a team captain who will be responsible for submitting team roster and pairings.
Each skill level bracket will have up to 16 teams of 4 players. Teams will be then split into pools and compete in Round Robin Match Play. EACH MATCH in will consist of FOUR (4) GAMES (one of each doubles pairing) to 11 points, win by 1.
For example, if Team A is playing a match against Team B, the teams will play the following set of games:
- Men's Doubles
- Women's Doubles
- Mixed Doubles 1
- Mixed Doubles 2
The outcome of each game will be recorded and then the teams will play against another team in their pool. Once each team has played a match against each of the other teams in its pool, total records will be tallied and the team with the best aggregate records will move on to a single elimination final tournament. For instance, if in the above example, Team A wins the Men's Doubles and both of the Mixed Doubles, Team A's record after the Round Robin Match with Team B would be 3-1, while Team B's record would be 1-3. The Top 8 Teams across the pools will move on to our single elimination Funky Form Champions Bracket
Every registered player is guaranteed to play a minimum of 4 doubles games prior to eliminations.
FULL TOURNAMENT RULES
Pool Party Rules
All USAPA 2023 rules apply unless otherwise noted below.
- Pool Party is round robin configured with four, 4-person team pools (each team = 2 men, 2 women)
- Each round will consist of one match between two teams, each playing Men's, Women's, and two Mixed games, for a total of 4 games per match round.
- Mixed teams may swap players from match to match, but not alternate pairings mid game.
- Team Captain will be responsible for roster and mixed pairing assignments.
- Games are timed at 15 minutes -OR- first to 11 points, win by 1.
- No timeouts will be issued, except for medical emergencies but brief water breaks are allowed.
- If a player is injured and a medical timeout is called, the team with the injured player will forfeit their serve to the opposing team when play resumes.
- The impacted player and team have 5-minutes to evaluate the severity of the injury and make a decision to continue play or forfeit the match. If the team with the injury forfeits, the player/team may play the next game in its match or may withdraw from the event altogether.
- If the injured player chooses to withdraw, a waiting sub may be pulled to play in the injured player's place. The sub MUST be of the same gender and of similar SKILL. In other words, a 4.0 or above player may not sub for a 3.5 or below player.
Advancing to the Funky Form Championship Bracket: The top two (2) teams from each pool shall advance to the eight (8) team Championship Bracket. If the bracket is eight teams or fewer to start, only the top four (4) teams will advance. Top teams will be determined by: TOTAL WINS, HEAD-TO-HEAD, POINT DIFFERENTIAL, AND TOTAL POINTS SCORED.
Point and Tiebreak Rules
- Head-to-Head Matches Won
- Point Differential (points scored - points scored against = point differential)
- Total Points Score in Pool Play / Round Robin
Funky Form Champions Bracket
- 8-Team Single Elimination bracket plus Bronze medal match
- Teams shall be seeded based on TOTAL WINS and POINT DIFFERENTIAL from the Pool Party round robin play segment.
- Funky Form matches consist of a SINGLE GAME to 15 points, win by two, in which each of the team’s doubles pairings (Women, Men, and 2x Mixed) will take turns rotating into the game after every 4 TOTAL points scored in the game.
- Women > 4 Points Scored > Men > 4 Pts > Mixed 1 > 4 Pts > Mixed 2 > 4 Pts > (Repeat)
- Traditional scoring rules are in effect. Only the serving team can score points. Players will rotate and maintain the serve as long as they win the point.
- First server will be determined by Roshambo. The team that serves first will start on 0-0-2. The winner will choose the server and the loser will choose the side. Once a team reaches 8 Points, HALFTIME will result in the teams switching sides.
- Serving rules will remain in effect regardless of players switching in and out of the game. The serving player will remain in place and hand off the ball to the next player entering the game.
- Mixed teams may swap players from match to match, but not alternate pairings mid game. Once a rotation is established for the game, it must remain until the game is over.
- Matches will not be timed in the Championship Bracket
- Teams may take a single one-minute timeout per match
- Players who suffer an injury may take a 5-minute medical time out to recover and assess. If the injured player cannot continue, the team may substitute an alternate of similar skill or rotate with the remaining players on their roster to complete the match. The opposing team may choose to play any pairing against the rotating team’s “third mixed” pair.
REGISTERING FOR EVENT
Click the registration button above to sign up for the event. You will be redirected to a Google Form to fill out your player data. Once completed, you will receive a link to pay for registration. Your registration will not be confirmed until you complete payment.
You may register as an individual or as a team (you can list teammates during the registration process). If you do not have a full team, we will pair you with other players, as long as there are enough single players registered to make a full team. We suggest registering for the skill level you prefer and then confirming additional teammates to ensure you do not get sold out of the event.
Registration is $100 per player ($400/team) and will open on Wednesday February 8th at 12pm ET. No refunds on registration will be issued for any reason after Monday March 20th.
Please join our mailing list at the bottom of this page for more information and updates on registration.